Re: Questions on proprietary program using gcc libraries

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Questions on proprietary program using gcc libraries
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 09:23:48 -0400

In article <40FD05F1.62DADE26@web.de>,
 Alexander Terekhov <terekhov@web.de> wrote:

> Barry Margolin wrote:
> [...]
> > If the program will work with any standard-conforming C/C++ library,
> > then it's not considered a derivative of any particular one (unless it's
> > statically linked with that specific library).  So as long as the
>
> Statically and dynamically linked "packages" are compilations, not
> derivative works.

OK, but the copyright owner has control over use of his work in
compilations, so the GPL still applies.  Are you suggesting that this
falls under the "mere aggregation" clause, so the application that's
linked with the GPLed library can be distributed under a
non-GPL-compatible license.  This effectively makes the GPL equivalent
to the LGPL in the case of libraries.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA