Re: SCO laying an ambush for the GPL?

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: SCO laying an ambush for the GPL?
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 17:56:18 +0200

Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 16:57 +0200, Alexander Terekhov wrote:
> > Alexander Terekhov wrote:
> > >
> > > Greg Hennessy wrote:
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=40E709D3.D55FBAEE%40web.de
> >
> > http://www.kimsoft.com/dprk.htm
> > ("Communism Is Not Dead")
>
> You are an idiot if you compare freedom for all with dictatorships.

http://www.softpanorama.org/Copyright/License_classification/social_roots_of_GPL.shtml

<quote>

The fundamental postulates of Stallmanism are revolving around
certain "unalienable rights" for software users. If we assume
that the "right" in philosophical sense is a moral principle
defining and sanctioning a man's freedom of action in a social
context, then the concept of rights without property is somewhat
questionable platform similar to other "collectivist" social
utopias which historically provided the terrifying experience of
human rights abuse. History had shown that hypertrophy of
collectivist rights makes an individual too dependent upon other
people, especially leaders ("cult of personality"), including
leaders wrongdoing, and thus implicitly undermines the right for
individuality which is a fundamental contradiction because, in
essence, all rights are individual rights. This hypertrophy also
objectively leads to the despotism and corruption of the leaders
and George Orwell coined the underling fundamental contradiction
in his immortal quote "All pigs are equal, but some are more
equal than others."  It is interesting to note that in autumn
1996, the FSF experienced a full-scale staff defection, blamed
in large part on Stallman. Brian Youmans, a FSF employee hired
by Peter Salus just before the resignations, recalls the scene:
"At one point, Peter [Salus] was the only staff member working
in the office." [Williams2002]. Further discussion of
philosophical issues of interconnections between notions of
"freedom" and "property" is beyond the scope of the paper, but
we will touch another side of the problem of interaction of
individual rights with the collectivist vision later when we
will discuss the interaction of GPL with the acknowledgement of
the work of others.

</quote>