Re: Amazon Patents Getting Numbers Off a Check

From: Lee Hollaar
Subject: Re: Amazon Patents Getting Numbers Off a Check
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 00:42:52 +0000 (UTC)

In article <MPG.1b6fa0dfbbd7153698a401@news.freeserve.net> Tim Jackson
<news@winterbourne.freeserve.invalid> writes:
>And by the way, all I was trying to do in my previous posts was to
>explain why the procedure suggested by Prof. Hollaar is very little
>used in practice.  There's usually no business reason to use it.

I think it is far more likely that it isn't used very much is that it
is not that well known (although, unlike reexamination requests, there
is no published information on how much it is used).  Most people
don't know that you can submit prior art to the file without going
the next step of requesting reexamination, or what the effect of doing
it is.

It's not for everybody.  But it can be a useful, and very inexpensive
option, making it attractive for people like the open source software
community.

Which is why I decided to let people know about it ...