Re: Question About GNU General Public License

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Question About GNU General Public License
Date: 02 Aug 2004 15:07:25 +0200

> David Kastrup wrote:
> [...]
> > You need not sign or accept anything for using a copy of GPLed
> > software.  But if you don't accept the GPL, you don't get any rights
> > for duplication, modification, or redistribution short of the defaults
> > given by copyright law.  And those are not sufficient for the intended
> > purpose of the OP.
>
> Dak, we're missing you on misc.legal.computing. How many copies of
> GNU readline do you need?

I can get all the GPLed copies I need to, thank you.  If you want to
make it a business to sell copies of Readline with a _written_
_guarantee_ that the recipient may link each copy to proprietary
software of his own choosing and redistribute the combined product for
profit, and that you will reimburse him for any damages resulting from
the FSF suing him for compliance, go ahead.

According to you, it should be a sure-fire income opportunity for you.
Without such a guarantee, your offer is worthless.