Re: (no subject)

From: K. Ari Krupnikov
Subject: Re: (no subject)
Date: 05 Aug 2004 01:15:02 -0700

gnu.org@alias.spaceandtime.org writes:

> PS After typing this, I notice the form letter
>
> Yoyodyne, Inc., hereby disclaims all copyright
> interest in the program `Gnomovision'
> (which makes passes at compilers) written
> by James Hacker.
>
> signature of Ty Coon, 1 April 1989
> Ty Coon, President of Vice
>
> Is that really sufficient?  What about other intellectual property
> besides copyright?

You don't need the university to assign copyright to you to release
your program under GPL, you just need to convince the university to
release it under that license. The university keeps the copyright, not
you, but the program is GPL. Many universities will do that, but you
definitively need to clear it with whatever office that handles
intellectual property rights there.

ObDisclaimer: IANAL.

Ari.

--
Elections only count as free and trials as fair if you can lose money
betting on the outcome.