Re: Munich converts to GNU/Linux and then FAILS!

From: Rui Miguel Seabra
Subject: Re: Munich converts to GNU/Linux and then FAILS!
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 07:54:38 +0100

On Mon, 2004-08-09 at 23:16 -0700, Mike Cox wrote:
> Munich's reason of delaying is supposedly because of "patent issues".

Simply? Well, it seems it's not so simple. They're just evaluating the
patent risks, IIF the EU software patent drective is approved as it
stands with the support of the german government.

So, they're now asking the German government to backtrack its position:
That directive will have a strong cost on SMEs and all kinds of software
development.

Software patents kill jobs and knowledge economy.

> But
> IBM said that they won't sue,

Unless they hae to defend themselves (against competitors, who else),
and really, they were just talking about the kernel (no Linux vs
GNU/Linux bias, they _really_ were talking about the kernel).

Rui

+ So let's do it...?