Re: GPL-compatible implementation of VCDIFF (RFC3 284)

From: Florian Weimer
Subject: Re: GPL-compatible implementation of VCDIFF (RFC3 284)
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 08:16:03 +0200

* Simon Waters:

> As the RFC seems horribly hard way to explain - it seems to be achieving
> the same as compressing the diff. Or are you purely trying to be
> compatible with an existing implementation?

VCDIFF has been designed with binaries in mind.

> When diff gave up on me due to file size, I used rdiff, which is
> designed to sync two bigs files with sparse differences that have got
> out of sync, without copying one file to another machine. rdiff isn't as
> effective at making the difference file small,

This is one problem.  It's also rather CPU-intense, especially if you
don't store the signature file.  The implementation is fairly complex.

If I wouldn't need support for large files, I'd probably use xdelta
version 1.  But wait--a beta of xdelta version 3 has been released,
which implements VCDIFF and a streaming mode like zlib.  Wow!