Re: GPL'ing Solaris won't save SUN

From: Peter Bunclark
Subject: Re: GPL'ing Solaris won't save SUN
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 14:03:47 +0100

Casper H.S. Dik wrote:

Christopher Browne <cbbrowne@acm.org> writes:

Kernel panics resulting from memory getting scribbled on
inappropriately have been the "canonical" problem.  The memory has
been replaced, repetitively.  CPUs and carriers have been replaced, ad
nauseum.

Memory getting scribbled over looks more like a software
problem than a hardware problem.  (Somewhat dependign on
the pattern)

It's certainly not a usual problem (what OS version was it
running, what additional software, specficially kernel components,
and was it ever run with "set kmem_flags = 0xf")

It pains me to see unhappy customers; and you story is particularly
uncharacteristic as far as I can tell.

Casper
There have been many anecdotes over time, including at least one from me,
of Sparc/Solaris systems running longer than a year;  and usually the final
reboot is caused by a must-have security patch or a power cut. (And `running'
means running services, not just idling away in a corner).

Pete.