Re: Guile license (was: lisp used in game creation?)

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Guile license (was: lisp used in game creation?)
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 19:51:21 +0200

Alex Farran wrote:

> Alexander Terekhov writes:
>
> > That "permission" is needed only in the GNU Republic.
>
> If your supposed loophole in the GPL is real

17 USC 109 is quite real.

>                                              put your money where your
> mouth is and release a closed source program containing GPL code.

Derivative WORKS containing protected elements from the GPL'd work(s)
(just apply the AFC test) must be "released" (licensed to others to
do things reserved to copyright owners) under the GPL and only the
GPL. That requirement has really nothing to do with "copies" (material
objects in which this and/or that work is fixed) because copyright law
doesn't empower copyright owners to control distribution of lawfully
made copies owned by others. I have yet to see an unlawful copy of the
GPL'd work, BTW.

And "a program" is usually more than one work.

Go sue TiVo first.