Re: symlink weirdness

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: symlink weirdness
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 23:45:25 -0400

In article <db3559c4.0409131611.28861482@posting.google.com>,
 rdnews@dahlsys.com (Roger Dahl) wrote:

> If your current directory is A and you want to create a relative
> symlink to a file in directory B in directory C, you need to type the
> path as it would look from C, not from A.
>
> Though I understand that this makes 'ln' very simple (it just copies
> the argument into the link file), it doesn't make sense from a users
> perspective. When I'm in A, I can 'cp' from B to C without figuring
> out what the path to C will look like from B. 'cp -s' is even worse --
> it can only make links in the current directory.

BTW, why are you asking about this in GNU newsgroups?  This behavior is
in the Unix and Linux kernel (it's the symlink() system call), not the
GNU utilities.  And I expect it's required by POSIX, so it would not be
appropriate for the ln utility to do something different.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA