Re: GNU su and the wheel group

From: Tim Smith
Subject: Re: GNU su and the wheel group
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 14:02:07 GMT

In article <10m487epjdpqjf8@corp.supernews.com>,
<telford@xenon.triode.net.au> wrote:
>> What about the poor souls who want to su from one user account to
>> another?
>
> How realistic is this?
> and they do all operations as that user. If they REALLY need a special
> operation for some special purpose then a suid program would have to be
> written that does exactly that operation.

Increasing the number of suid programs is not good.

> Can anyone think of a sensible example where normal users are using su to
> switch accounts?

At work, we've got a server process that three people need to control
(start, stop, edit config files, access log files, update the software, and
that sort of thing).  We have a separate user for the server process, and
the three people su or sudo to that user when they need to do something to
the server process or its files.

--
--Tim Smith