Re: What's the status of sourceless live linux distros?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: What's the status of sourceless live linux distros?
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 21:03:28 +0200

> Bruce Lewis wrote:
> [...]
>> 109 is about transferring a single copy.  We're talking about
>> distributing multiple copies that you make,
>
> They all fall under 17 USC 109.

Multiple copies?  Since when?

> If you mean electronic distribution, assume that I carefully move
> all "the originals" to /dev/nul. Okay now?

So how did you get multiple copies then?

>>                                                       We aren't talking
>> about you making a transient copy as a necessary step in running a
>> program; we're talking about you making copies to distribute.
>                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> You didn't ask me and I made no promise. I made a copy. I own it.

Not in the sense of "I may further copy and redistribute it".  If you
buy a book in a bookstore, you own the book.  Not the contents.  You
can wipe your butt with it if you want to.  But you may not reprint it
on toilet paper so that others can do the same.  You may process the
original into toilet paper, if you so desire, and resell it.  But not
copies of it.

> It's legal. You have no rights to control further transfer under
> copyright law.

But copying.  What do you think the "copy" in "copyright" means?