Re: Why are software patents wrong?

From: threeseas
Subject: Re: Why are software patents wrong?
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 10:41:39 GMT

Bruce Lewis wrote:
threeseas <timrueAT@mindspringDOT.com> writes:

the more fundamental underlying reasons why software doesn't qualify
for patent status.

This has all been fully explained before.  Why don't you take a look at
GOTTSCHALK v. BENSON, 409 U.S. 63 (1972) and tell us what part you have
questions about?

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?navby=CASE&court=US&vol=409&page=63

pressed for time but I think I soudl say:

I've been absolutely certain or over 15 years about there being an underlying "abstraction physics" to programming.

The problem I run into in talking with others is twofold.

One being that people tend to think about what I'm communicating to them in terms of their current knowledge or focus and as such fail to directly see what I'm on about.

two... many who grasp some level of understanding of what I'm on about often resort to a defensive position as though the understand bring about a conflict with their beliefs or vested interest. (like how teh church didn't want to accept Galelios work)

Anything you can do to help me, would be appriciated, if even just giving me contact information ....

gotta run...but thanks...