Re: What if GNU *IS* evil?

From: Rui Miguel Seabra
Subject: Re: What if GNU *IS* evil?
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2004 01:31:58 +0000

> It may sounds like a far future that's never going to happen, but
> given how fast things going these day, an average person may just have
> to face another paradigm clash or two well within its lifetime.  Are
> there any safegurds, or safegurds on safegurds, within GNU philosophy,
> that minimizes the chances of meritless attacks during paradigm
> shifts, especially when GNU philosophy itself becomes irrelevant to
> the ever changing world?

The price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance. Currently, and IMHO, the best
way to summarise rights every software user must have AT THE VERY LEAST
is through the Free Software definition...

> The last thing we need is to win a war, only
> to discover it is wrong to begin with, and start thinking we will all
> be better off to turn the progress backwards.

I don't think this philosophy is wrong, but Eternal Vigilance is
precisely about keeping a watch over our rights.

So I'm not really worried about that. It worries me now much more that
certain individuals lie with as many teeth as they still have in order
to find ways to subvert the Free Software definition.

Fortunately, the careful reader will notice many of the flaws in their
argument, which frequently spell a not very good image of the trickster,
to say the best.

Regards, Rui