Re: LGPL reverse engineering clause & Java

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: LGPL reverse engineering clause & Java
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 13:01:08 +0100

David Kastrup wrote:
[...]
> > It's not a copyright violations to distribute lawfully made copies
> > that I own.
>
> Not?  So when I acquire a copy of Microsoft Windows, and make 50 legal
> backup copies of it, I can sell those copies again, and it is not a
> copyright violation?

Backup copies can be distributed along with non-backup copies
from which backup copies were prepared. I'm not talking about
backup copies.

> Are you sure about that?  Really, really, sure?  I would certainly not
> want to go out on a limb like that without you promising very solemnly
> that you are quite sure.
>
> > Thank you for your unilateral permission to make copies
>
> Oh, but it was a conditional permission with strings attached.  The
> GPL.

Whatever.

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=cauv72%249nu%241%40vegh.ks.cc.utah.edu
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=cauvfk%249sc%241%40vegh.ks.cc.utah.edu