Re: LGPL reverse engineering clause & Java

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: LGPL reverse engineering clause & Java
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 15:03:28 +0100

> David Kastrup wrote:
> [...]
>> > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2000/09/04/german_court_ruling_triggers
>>
>> This is not exactly about a ruling that you can make an arbitrary
>> number of copies that you then resell.  It is about requiring
>> resellers to only bundle "OEM versions" of Microsoft with computers.
>
> You don't get it. How many copies of "Windows XP Professional x64
> Edition" (available as free download from MS web site) do you need?

The technical ability to download something does not give you an
licence to do whatever you want with it.  Again: you can't just copy
material from online newspapers and claim them as your own.

> I have a bunch of copies ready for sale, just let me know.

If I needed to get hold of a copy of Windows, I'd not be as stupid to
contact a person that boasts himself of being above the law.