Re: LGPL reverse engineering clause & Java

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: LGPL reverse engineering clause & Java
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 17:10:52 +0100

> David Kastrup wrote:
> [...]
>> > You keep comparing online distribution (where copyright owners
>> > and/or authorized distributors are transferring ownership of a copy
>> > of the work to recipients)
>>
>> They make them available under conditions.
>
> Yeah. That <https://microsoft.order-9.com/winxp64> also has "Terms of
> Use" ("you may not <blah blah>" link/page). But I've accepted nothing,
> to begin with.

Fine, but then you have no rights to the software in question except
those granted by copyright (which do not include redistribution).  And
even copyright only grants you rights once you entered into an
exchange of consideration (usually meaning some payment that is not
specifically a content-independent volume rate).