Re: LGPL reverse engineering clause & Java

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: LGPL reverse engineering clause & Java
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2004 01:46:53 +0100

John Hasler wrote:

> Stefan writes:
> > You seem to consider the set of rules of the legal system as a logic
> > system and then try to infer whatever you want to prove.
>
> A common error.  Fortunately, law is interpreted by judges, not theorem
> provers.

What error? Teleportation and digital REdistribution aside for a
moment, even Time Warner agrees that my copy of winxp64 does fall
within the scope of the first sale doctrine. "We note that the
initial downloading of a copy, from an authorized source to a
purchaser's computer, can result in lawful ownership of a copy
stored in a tangible medium. If the purchaser does not make and
retain a second copy, further transfer of that particular copy
on such medium would fall within the scope of the first sale
doctrine."