Re: can i install Fedora 3 on an old PC ?

From: Rob Emmons
Subject: Re: can i install Fedora 3 on an old PC ?
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 07:04:33 -0600

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 11:30:22 +0000, Leo wrote:

> I'm asking if is possible to install the last version of Fedora (core 3) on
> this old PC:
> CPU: Pentium MMX 233MHz
> RAM: 96Mb

I'm not certain about Fedora Core 3 -- but I run Redhat 9 on a Pentium II
300MHZ with 392 MB of memory.  I suspect your big issue will be memory -- I
use to have 128 MB and that was not enough.  256MB might be enough, not
certain, but 392 works OK for me.

So the short answer is that -- yes it's probably possible, but your going
to have to strip down the system or add more memory -- that is if my
experience with RH9 is any guidance.  Things like Gnome and OpenOffice,
and maybe Mozilla are just too big in my experience.  You get a lot of
paging which really slows things down if you don't have enough memory.
Other option is  to use a smaller distribution from the start.

Rob