Re: A Free Software Inquiry regarding Nintendo DS

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: A Free Software Inquiry regarding Nintendo DS
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 23:11:40 +0100

Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
[...]
> You're talking about generic terms:
>
>    First Sale Doctrine
>
> I'm talking generic terms:
>
>    Copyright

Copyright includes "first sale" limitation. In the EU it's called
"copyright exhaustion."

> If you give *your* copy to someone else, there applies first sale.
> If you give out copies of your copy, there applies copyright.

Each copy of my copy is my copy. Each is lawfully made thanks
to the GPL. "Adobe asserts that its license defines the
relationship between Adobe and any third-party such that a
breach of the license constitutes copyright infringement. This
assertion is not accurate because copyright law in fact provides
certain rights to owners of a particular copy. This grant of
rights is independent from any purported grant of rights from
Adobe."

s/Adobe/FSF

> And you can only redistribute GNU GPL'ed software under the distribution
> terms.

That may be the law in the GNU Republic. Elsewhere it doesn't
really work that way.