Re: NYC LOCAL: Wednesday 2 February 2005 NYCBUG: Jan Schaumann on The Ne

From: A Nengineer
Subject: Re: NYC LOCAL: Wednesday 2 February 2005 NYCBUG: Jan Schaumann on The NetBSD Packages Collection (pkgsrc)
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 23:53:21 GMT

secretary@lxny.org wrote:

 The NetBSD Packages Collection (pkgsrc) is a framework for building
 third-party software on NetBSD and other UNIX-like systems, currently
 containing nearly 5000 packages. It is used to enable freely available
 software to be configured and built easily on supported platforms.

I've been thinking of fooling around with different OSes lately just for fun. Downloading Solaris 10 now (which provides a free license for hobbyists). Also dl'd a couple of Linux distros and Oberon.

Wanted to check out the BSDs, but I can no longer find any useful information online comparing the strengths of the various types.

Any info along those lines--even just opinion--would be welcome.

--
http://www.polhemus.cc/blog