Re: using GPL api to be used in a properietary software

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: using GPL api to be used in a properietary software
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 12:33:02 +0100

hsh@freecode.dk (Henrik S. Hansen) writes:

> Stefaan A Eeckels <tengo@DELETEMEecc.lu> writes:
>
>> While I agree that the OP isn't exactly trying to honour the spirit of
>> the GPL, claiming that a program is a derivative work of the programs
>> it depends upon for its execution (like libraries, OS, shells etc.)
>> is both incorrect and counter-productive.
>
> Please get a clue before calling others incorrect and
> "counter-productive".  You are completely wrong.  One thing is that you
> actually believe what you say, another is repeating it to others
> thoughtlessly, thereby propagating FUD.
>
> A quote from the GPL FAQ (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html):
>
> Q: You have a GPL'ed program that I'd like to link with my code to build
>    a proprietary program. Does the fact that I link with your program
>    mean I have to GPL my program?
>
> A: Yes.

The FAQ is probably less than nitpickingly right on that.  The GPL
says:

    Activities other than copying, distribution and modification are
    not covered by this License; they are outside its scope.  The act
    of running the Program is not restricted, and the output from the
    Program is covered only if its contents constitute a work based on
    the Program (independent of having been made by running the
    Program).  Whether that is true depends on what the Program does.

It is just when you are distributing the product that you have to GPL
the complete product as distributed.  Internal use is ok.