Re: using GPL api to be used in a properietary software

From: Henrik S. Hansen
Subject: Re: using GPL api to be used in a properietary software
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 00:11:12 +0100

Stefaan A Eeckels <tengo@DELETEMEecc.lu> writes:

> The answers in the GPL FAQ are the opinion of the FSF's
> legal counsel (hopefully).

Right.  Which is an indicator that they have analysed the matters in
depth, and that they have the competence to do so.

> The OS is equally "required to make the program work", but I'm sure
> you can see that claiming that thence every program is a derivative
> work of the OS is not going to be very productive for Free Software
> authors (and users).

Using standard Unix/POSIX system calls is not considered a derivative
work.

> The law should not be the only yardstick for our behaviour, something
> we, as a society, tend to forget too often nowadays.

Well spoken.  I couldn't agree more.

--
Henrik S. Hansen     http://freecode.dk/~hsh/
Computer science (software engineering) student