Re: using GPL api to be used in a properietary software

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: using GPL api to be used in a properietary software
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 04:06:43 +0100

Stefaan A Eeckels wrote:
[...]
> You see, there's no mention of POSIX or "being needed to make
> the program work". I think one can reasonably say that a statically
> linked executable is covered by "any other form in which a work
> may be recast, transformed or adapted" as far as its components
> are concerned.

Bzzt. According to the FSF, "static linking creates a derivative work
through textual copying". By that silly logic, even if you have
permission to reproduce something, you just can't prepare compilations
(hint: newspapers, catalogs, etc.) unless you also have permission to
prepare derivative works.