Re: using GPL api to be used in a properietary software

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: using GPL api to be used in a properietary software
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 14:58:49 +0100

David Kastrup wrote:
[...]
> So why are there numerous court decisions that "deep linking" of web
> site material constitutes copyright infringement?

--------
Deep Linking: Legal Certainty in Germany While Debate Continues in the
United States
September 11, 2003

With a recent decision, the German Federal Court of Justice (BGH)
(decision of July 17, 2003, file no. I ZR 259/00) finally resolved the
controversy about the lawfulness of deep linking under German law.
Previously, some German courts considered such practice to be lawful
and others did not (see our Internet Alert of October 3, 2002). The
courts which rejected this practice considered deep linking to be a
violation of the data base rights of the website owner according to
Section 87 b German Copyright Act (UrhG), which implemented the
provisions of Directive 96/9/EC, the so-called Directive on the Legal
Protection of Databases.

In the BGH case, the plaintiff, which publishes the newspaper
"Handelsblatt," the magazine "DMEuro" and online versions of those
publications, sued the Internet search engine paperboy.de, which
analyzes a broad range of newspaper articles and provides deep links
to those articles. The plaintiff took the view that paperboy's deep
linking violated its copyrights in the articles and its database,
and also violated Section 1 of the German Act against Unfair
Competition (UWG).

The Higher Regional Court Cologne dismissed the plaintiff's claim, and
with its recent decision the BGH has now dismissed a further appeal by
the plaintiff. According to the BGH, hyperlinking is not a use that can
be reserved to the copyright or data-bank owner. Such linking is not
unlawful, even if it enables the user to directly access a work product
through a deep link. An owner who provides public access to a
copyrighted work product on the Internet already facilitates its use by
any Internet user. Even without a deep link, a user could directly get
to the publicly accessible work product or data with the appropriate
URL address. Thus, the deep link is just facilitating such access.

In addition, the BGH did not consider deep linking to be an unlawful
exploitation of the work of the plaintiff (Section 1 UWG). Users were
not misled about the origin of the newspaper and magazine articles. The
fact that the owner of the Internet site may lose some advertising
revenues (because the user bypasses the home page and other pages) did
not create a violation of Section 1 UWG. Without deep linking, the BGH
believed that it would be practically impossible to make sensible use
of the overwhelming amount of information on the Internet.

The BGH has not opined about situations in which a deep link bypasses
technical protection measures intended to limit access information.

However, with the exception of these issues and other particular
circumstances, deep linking is now considered to be lawful under German
law.
------

> David Kastrup, Kriemhildstr. 15, 44793 Bochum

GNU Republic or Germany, dak?