Re: using GPL api to be used in a properietary software

From: Martin Dickopp
Subject: Re: using GPL api to be used in a properietary software
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 14:45:51 +0100

> And what creative undertaking in the creation (the moment the program
> is run) of that "derivative work" can be attributed to the copyright
> holders of the program and/or the library?

The creativity that was exercised in the creation of the program and the
library doesn't magically disappear the moment the two are combined.

> Suppose that both their preexisting copyrights happen to expire the
> moment the program is run...

In that case, I suggest that you lean back. We know from Special
Relativity that the concept of two events in different locations
coinciding in time only makes sense for a given reference frame.
Therefore, if you move and thereby change to a different reference
frame, the copyrights will either already have expired when the program
starts, or the starting of the pogram will occur before the copyrights
expire. Since I assume that your leaning back will not be fast enough
to be anywhere near the velocity of light, the difference will only be
extremely tiny, of course.

Martin