Newland: I second Torvalds Motion, It's Time to Dump the Penguin

From: Wyl Newland
Subject: Newland: I second Torvalds Motion, It's Time to Dump the Penguin
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 11:51:08 -0600

20050401 "Newland: I second Torvalds Motion, It's Time to Dump the Penguin"

Let us, on this most sacred day only, become a world of fools.  Let us
imagine the unimaginable.

Upon reading "Torvalds: It's Time to Dump the Penguin"
http://www.linux.org/news/LO2005/mascot_20050401.html I replied:

I propose we adopt the image of one of several Linus characters:

1) Linus of Peanuts fame, assuming the owner would grant a no-fee license
to the free software community, for GPL'd software only

2) Linus Pauling, perhaps the world's greatest chemist of all time

3) Linus of Linux fame, a geek of our own, to trump the be-spectacled image of
the Monopolist Corporation geek

With all due respect to 3), I prefer option 1) so let me elaborate:

Please see:

http://www.unitedmedia.com/comics/peanuts/meet_the_gang/meet_linus.html

Perhaps there is no bigger fool than I.  However, launching a
partnership that, in turn, launches the free software community's
write-once, run-anywhere operating system, media kit, etc., under the
visage of world loved cartoon characters would, as Emril would say,
let's "kick it up a notch", on the world stage of human comedy.

Linux, if course, gets Linus.  I dibs the free software product under
the flying doghouse image.  What do we do with the other characters:
Snoopy, Charlie Brown, Woodstock, Lucy, Sally, Schroeder, Peppermint
Patty, Marcie, Pigpen, Franklin, and Rerun?

Who's Rerun, well, "Rerun Van Pelt is often mistaken for Linus even
though he's his little brother."

http://www.unitedmedia.com/comics/peanuts/meet_the_gang/index.html