Re: "Adobe Open Source License" GPL compatible?

From: Mike Linksvayer
Subject: Re: "Adobe Open Source License" GPL compatible?
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 11:32:06 -0700

Thanks Martin and David for your analysis. I was right to be concerned, but somewhat for the wrong reasons. I took David's suggestion to write licensing@fsf.org. Here's the almost immediate reply I got:

novalis@fsf.org via RT <licensing@fsf.org> wrote:
With respect to documentation, the license is obviously non-free and
incompatible.  If the license for the software were OK, you could just
throw away the documentation and distribute only the software.  But I
think it is not.

The compatibility issues I see include:
(1) a notice is required in documentation
(2) You have to indemnify Adobe (3) If you distribute the software to anyone, you have to distribute it
to everyone who wants it.  You might be able to satisfy this for now by
just linking to Adobe's site, but Adobe might go out of business or
choose to stop supporting this software.
(4) The license has a choice of law clause

--
  Mike Linksvayer
  http://creativecommons.org/about/people#21