Re: you're like monkeys in a cage

From: Don Parris
Subject: Re: you're like monkeys in a cage
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 23:48:41 -0400

On 2 May 2005 06:21:35 -0700
yarmfelder@yahoo.com wrote:

> To the participants in comp.os.linux.advocacy:
>
> I was watching a TV documentary about monkeys and
> how they behave in captivity, and it occurred to me
> that this newsgroup (comp.os.linux.advocacy), more than
> the others that I sometimes read, is just like a monkey cage
> populated by chimpanzees. You're always trying to gain
> dominance over one another, always screaming wild
> insults, denying the obvious, beating your chests
> by pretending to know more than you do, and generally
> being mean and cruel and thriving on the chaos
> like a bunch of chimps. It's funny to watch, insofar as
> it's funny to watch chimps go berzerk, however
> it's clear after watching for only a little while that
> like chimps you simply have no standards and that your
> behavior is constantly sinking to the lowest depths.
> It's a pity, because Linux is a good operating system,
> the result of heartfelt generosity, and I'd hate to see
> it dragged down by people who are more monkey than human;
> and it's not that all of the monkeys are advocates for
> Linux of course.
>
> Furthermore, I note a distinct difference in degree between
> the behavior of the monkeys in comp.os.linux.advocacy and
> in many other groups, where participants are much more civil,
> but one can see the same behaviors in all groups. And
> I might add, that "reality TV" also shows us this behavior
> but because people are showing themselves, the cowards
> among them cannot become more monkeylike for fear of
> feeling guilty or ashamed.
>
> B. Yarmfelder

Hey, dude!  Pass the bananas!  I'm hungry!  While you're at it, mention the
idea of using free software for Windows in a Windows newsgroup, and see how
civil the natives there can be.  It flies in the face of your claims of
civility in other groups.  In fact, some of those "monkeys" strike me as rabid
- better call the vet.

DCP
--
evangelinux    GNU Evangelist