Re: how much is too much?

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: how much is too much?
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 04:10:01 -0400

   I'm trying to determine what the threshold is in terms of lines of
   code I can copy/paste from GPL software before coming under the GPL
   myself.

In general, the threshold is zero lines, since it depends on what you
copy.  If the code you copy is non-trivial, even if it fits on "one
line"[0], then copyright law goes into effect.  So if you need to copy
anything and you cannot write it from scratch without looking at the
code as reference, then the code is non-trivial and copyright law will
apply (and in this case, the GPL).

[0]: "One line" can mean anything really, I could fit the GCC source
code on "one line".

I'm not a lawyer, and all the other usual disclaimers....