Re: how much is too much?

From: John Hasler
Subject: Re: how much is too much?
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 07:57:23 -0500

chad writes:
> So the criterion is triviality?

The criterion is whether it is a protected element under copyright law.

> Do you know if this is documented anywhere?

Copyright case law.  Most likely ten lines or less would be classified as
"de mininmus" in the US but if you are planning to distribute the work
under closed-source terms you should consult your attorney.

> I don't see it in the GPL itself, and a cursory googling for "non-trivial
> gpl" doesn't turn up anything definitive-looking.

This isn't about the GPL.  It's about copyright.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org