Re: how much is too much?

From: Chad Whitacre
Subject: Re: how much is too much?
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 12:37:47 -0400

I.e., would it be possible to package all GPL code that I want to
use in an LGPL library and use that from a public domain package?

Look, "public domain" means that everybody is allowed to do whatever
he wants with the product (including releasing proprietary versions).

It completely escapes me how you can imagine to have the right to do
that.

By "use" I meant in linked fashion. My thought was to make the functionality of the GPL'd code available to the public domain code via an LGPL'd library. Either way the answer appears to be "no."

In general I am trying to get educated on the whole copyright/licensing issue. Distinguishing between the two was a first step, the GPL FAQ is explaining more.

The bottom line seems to be that the street between copyleft and non-copyleft free software only runs one way: copyleft can incorporate non-copyleft and retain its identity, but not the other way around. I.e., the GPL's hegemony extends to non-copyleft free software as much as to proprietary software. Accurate?

chad