Re: how much is too much?

From: John Hasler
Subject: Re: how much is too much?
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 13:48:15 -0500

Chad writes:
> Hmmm ... ok, so I suppose the licensing under the GPL would have to
> antedate the "overt act of relinquishment" by which the code is dedicated
> to the public domain, since the GPL depends on copyright?

No.  Distributing a copy of your work under the GPL is not some kind of
global act that forbids you to distribute a different copy under different
terms.  You own the copyright and can do with it as you wish.

If a work is a derivative a work licensed under the GPL (i.e., contains
elements of a GPL'd work) _the work as a whole_ may only be licensed under
the GPL.  Combining a GPL work with a public domain work produces a
derivative that may only be distributed under the GPL, but the public
domain work remains in the public domain.

You can place the portion of the work that is entirely of your authorship
in the public domain and simultaneously (or later, or earlier) distribute
the combination of your work and a GPL work under the GPL.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org