Re: how much is too much?

From: Isaac
Subject: Re: how much is too much?
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 22:16:31 -0500

On Tue, 31 May 2005 12:41:30 +0200, Alexander Terekhov <terekhov@web.de> wrote:

> Isaac wrote:
> [...]
>> 17 USC 117 covers modifications required to run programs when one
> ones a copy.  IMO that would include linking code to a library,
>
> I don't think so. Think of a "package" in source code - a tarball of
> linked (some modules reference others modules) components. What does
> it have to do with 17 USC 117 as far as preparation and distribution
> of that "package" is concerned? Nothing, I think.

Your not using your imagination.  17 USC 117 allows such copying or
adapting as is essential to run the software.  IMO that would allow
compiling, installing, and linking to a library presuming that you
owned a legal copy of the source code of the library.

I really didn't suggest anything concerning distribution.  I was
talking about doing what you can do own your own system with legally
acquired and owned copies of code.

Isaac