Re: Placing GPL licensed application's installer inaproperietaryapplicat

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Placing GPL licensed application's installer inaproperietaryapplication's installer
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 15:57:36 +0200

> Wahaj Khan wrote:
>>
>> Yes item 2 in my email must be prohibited as its not mere
>> aggregation, its more of merging.
>
> That's a distinction without a difference. It is mere/bare/scant
> aggregation.

Well, I'd recommend the use of Google Groups on threads in this group
with Mr. Terekhov's participation before deciding to follow any legal
advice of his.

Since his razorsharp legal opinions are unfortunately not shared by
the copyright holders (for example, the FSF), following his advice is
not prone to keep you out of the courts.  And since the judges are
seemingly not sufficiently versed in the laws for following
Mr. Terekhov's reasoning, following his advice is not likely to get
you out of the courts unscathed again.

It would certainly be appreciated by the FSF if the law cut down the
extent and reach of copyright to the measure that Mr. Terekhov
imagines for the GPL.  However, while copyright law is given the
current, partly ridiculous extent, GPLed works are just as protected
as other works are.