NYC LOCAL: Tuesday 19 July 2005 UN Harvard Club Panel on The Digital Div

From: secretary
Subject: NYC LOCAL: Tuesday 19 July 2005 UN Harvard Club Panel on The Digital Divide at Home and Abroad, led by Gale Brewer of the New York City Council
Date: 18 Jul 2005 01:18:41 -0400

  what="reminder from Bruce Lai"
  note="$5 entrance fee">

 From: Bruce Lai <bruce.lai@council.nyc.ny.us>
 Subject: THE DIGITAL DIVIDE AT HOME AND ABROAD: Tuesday, July 19th at 6:30,
Eyebeam, 540 W. 21st St., b/w 10th and 11th Ave.

 Hello All,

     This is just a quick reminder about the Digitial Divide event that
 Council Member Gale Brewer and I will be participating in next week at
 the art space, Eyebeam (http://www.eyebeam.org
 <http://www.eyebeam.org/>).  The event will begin at 6:30 PM with wine
 and mingling.  At approximately 7:00, the panel discussion will start,
 lasting about an hour.  After that, people will be free to mingle more
 as well as browse Eyebeam's gallery space.

     This event is open to everyone, but please RSVP, seating is
 limited.  To RSVP, send an email with your full name, program (if
 applicable), and year (if applicable) to ddrsvp@hotmail.com.

     Hope to see you there!

 Regards,
 Bruce Lai

 --
 Bruce Lai
 Legislative Policy Analyst, Committee on Technology in Government

 *****

 The Kennedy School Alumni Association of NY and the UN Harvard Club present

 A Panel Discussion

 The Digital Divide at Home and Abroad

     At a time when Internet access--and particularly high-speed access,
 or broadband--has become a necessary element of how we work, shop, and
 communicate, large swaths of the world's population remain
 disconnected.  Our panel will investigate the barriers to access as well
 as the potential economic and social benefits to bridging the digital
 divide. Our participants bring experience from as close as neighborhoods
 in New York City and as far-flung as Mozambique and Haiti.

 Tuesday, July 19
 6:30 p.m.
 Eyebeam
 540 W. 21st Street, (between 10th and 11th Avenues)
 $5 donation

 Panelists:

 Bruce Lai
 Legislative Policy Analyst, Committee on Technology in Government
 New York City Council
 http://www.nyccouncil.info/issues/committee.cfm?committee_id=106

 Andrew Rasiej
 Founder, Making Opportunities for Upgrading Schools and Education
 http://www.mouse.org/
 Candidate for NYC Public Advocate
 http://www.advocatesforrasiej.com/

 Raul Zambrano
 Sustainable Development Networking Programme at UNDP

 Moderated by
 Gale Brewer
 City Council Member District 6
 http://www.nyccouncil.info/constituent/member_details.cfm?con_id=28
 Chairperson, Committee on Technology in Government, New York City Council
 http://www.nyccouncil.info/issues/committee.cfm?committee_id=106

 More about Eyebeam:

     Eyebeam engages cultural dialogue at the intersection of the arts
 and sciences. Its goal is to forge an understanding of the relatedness
 of these practices, which are becoming increasingly significant engines
 of cultural production. Eyebeam amplifies the flux and hybridity of the
 art/science intersection by openly fostering the parallel strands of
 education, research, production, exhibition with its public and peers.
 For more information: http://www.eyebeam.org <http://www.eyebeam.org/>.

Distributed poC TINC:

Jay Sulzberger <secretary@lxny.org>
Corresponding Secretary LXNY