NYC LOCAL: Wednesday 27 July 2005 NYLUG: Maria Winslow on Convincing You

From: secretary
Subject: NYC LOCAL: Wednesday 27 July 2005 NYLUG: Maria Winslow on Convincing Your Manager to Approve Your Favorite Software
Date: 25 Jul 2005 22:41:32 -0400

  what="official NYLUG announcement">

 From: Sunny Dubey <info@nylug.org>
 To: NYLUG Announcements <nylug-announce@nylug.org>
 Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 14:47:25 -0400 (EDT)
 Subject: [nylug-announce] New York Linux User's Group Meeting 7/27: Maria
Winslow on Convincing Your Manager to Approve Open Source

 (THIS WEDNESDAY, RSVP CLOSES TOMORROW AT 2:30PM!)

 July 27th, 2005
 Wednesday
 6:30PM-8:00PM
 IBM Headquarters Building
 590 Madison Avenue at 57th Street
 12th Floor, home to the IBM Linux Center of Competency

 ** RSVP Instructions **
 You must R.S.V.P. for *EVERY* meeting.
 Register at http://rsvp.nylug.org/
 Check in with photo ID at the lobby for badge and room number.

                          Maria Winslow (Virtuas)
                                   -on-
              Convincing Your Manager to Approve Open Source

     The grass roots efforts of system administrators have brought Linux and
     other open source software into the enterprise, frequently under the
     radar. But to take the next step in open source advocacy at work, you
     need to speak the language of management and convince them from their
     point of view. We shall discuss the right and wrong ways to present your
     case, why your audience makes all the difference (technical manager versus
     non-technical business owner), how to really hook them with proof of cost
     savings, and two secret weapons in your quest to promote open source.

     We will talk about why bashing Microsoft will not help you in your case,
     which migration recommendations will seem the most practical and feasible
     to management, and how to present those recommendations in terms that
     management will respond to. Additionally We will talk about how your goals
     are different from those of management, and how to adjust your approach
     accordingly. Finally, we'll demystify ROI (return on investment), and show
     how you can put together simple calculations to back you up.

     We will be giving away one copy of "The Practical Manager's Guide to Open
     Source" (http://windows-linux.com/practicalOpenSource).

   About Maria Winslow

     As an Open Source Practice Leader with Virtuas (http://virtuas.com), Ms.
     Winslow assists clients in understanding the technical and budgetary
     impact open source software will have on their computing environments.
     Her book "The Practical Manager's Guide to Open Source"
     (http://windows-linux.com/practicalOpenSource), guides IT directors and
     system administrators through the process of finding practical uses for
     open source that will integrate seamlessly into existing infrastructures,
     as well as understanding the costs and savings. Ms. Winslow is a frequent
     speaker and author on the topic of open source, and is a contributing
     editor of open source applications at LinuxPlanet and Linux Today. She
     can be reached at maria.winslow at windows-linux dot com

 Swag (Give Away) - During the meeting... unusually terrific swag of
     non-predetermined origin will be given out to all attendees at the
     regular meeting for free as usual.

 Stammtisch
     After the meeting ... Join us around 8:30pm or so at TGI Friday's,
     located at 677 Lexington Avenue and 56th Street, second floor.
     Northeast corner.

 Please see our home page at http://www.nylug.org for the HTMLized
 version of this announcement, our archives, and a lot of other good
 stuff.