Re: Licensing question about the BSD

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Licensing question about the BSD
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 11:41:21 +0200

Isaac wrote:
[...]
> ><URL:http://www.netfilter.org/news/2004-04-15-sitecom-gpl.html>
> ><URL:http://gpl-violations.org/news/20050414-fortinet-injunction.html>

I hear that (plonked) GNUtian dak seems to be unaware the District Court
of Munich I judged that the GPL is a contract governed by the Sect. 158
of the German Civil Act (BGB) http://dejure.org/gesetze/BGB/158.html.

http://www.jbb.de/judgment_dc_munich_gpl.pdf
http://www.oii.ox.ac.uk/resources/feedback/OIIFB_GPL3_20040903.pdf

BTW, here's a rather funny footnote from the JBB's translation:

"2 In the original judgment, the court mentions Section 158 of the
 "German Copyright Act". This cannot be correct since such paragraph
 does not exist in said Act. In addition, it is entirely clear that
 the court referred to Section 158 of the German Civil Code. For
 these reasons, the translator has taken the liberty to correct the
 error while at the same time acknowledging that this reference need
 be made."

Note that Till Jaeger of JBB is Welte's attorney and sorta German
Incarnation of Eben Moglen under German Law so to speak -- he runs
the "Instituts für Rechtsfragen der Freien und Open Source Software"
(http://www.ifross.de) which advocates that contractual "condition
subsequent" model based upon Sect. 158 BGB is the right
interpretation of the GPL in Germany... and also that as a
consequence, the GPL'd stuff should be exempt from "first sale"...
other bizarre legal constructions of his own (together with his
friend Metzger) creation aside for a moment.