Re: Licensing question about the BSD

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Licensing question about the BSD
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 00:41:11 +0200

Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-08-08 at 21:25 +0200, Alexander Terekhov wrote:
> > Alexander Terekhov wrote:
> > [...]
> > > consequence, the GPL'd stuff should be exempt from "first sale"...
> > > other bizarre legal constructions of his own (together with his
> > > friend Metzger) creation aside for a moment.
> >
> > Well, looks like that in the meantime, the fellows have realized
> > that exemption from first sale won't fly.
>
> HELLO? It's only you who speaks of first sale.

Really? Final judgment regarding injunction against Sitecom by the
District Court of Munich I and appellate Judge Hoeren's feedback
aside for a moment, go ask your comrade dak translate pages 48, 49,
50, 51, and 52 of

http://www.vsi.de/inhalte/aktuell/studie_final_safe.pdf.

Please try to NOT miss the stuff behind footnote 284 (attributed
to Welte's attorney Jaeger together with his colleague Metzger).

> The FSF is not talking about giving (or selling or whatever) your copy
> (read first sale), but copy distribution.

Under FSF's "GPL-is-not-a-contract" theory, all copies of publicly
available GPL'd works fall under "copy distribution" pursuant to the
first sale because they are "lawfully made" and there's no contract
that would restrict (impose enforceable conditions) on their
distribution.

The GFSL (German Free Software License "created by Axel Metzger and
Till Jaeger") concedes that the first sale "preempts" it (GFSL being
a non-negotiable licensing contract accepted by a licensee when
exercising the copyright license granted in the GFSL... just like
the properly construed GPL): no reciprocal (contractual) obligations
on part of redisrtibutors under first sale (without some other
explicit manifestation of assent to the contrary, that is).

And copies (in both source and object code form... accompanied by
additional copies under 17 USC 117) of computer program works made
in the course of downloading from the authorized distributors do
fall under the first sale. Go ask the Libraries Association (and
also Time Warner, Inc.):

http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/archive/dvd-discuss/msg07922.html