Re: Licensing question about the BSD

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Licensing question about the BSD
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 17:49:51 +0200

Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
[...]
> > Copies are lawfully made pursuant to the GPL's unilateral grant
> > to reproduce.
> ... under certain conditions.
>
> > "in which case he must show that he is obeying its terms."
> >
> > No. You must show that copies are not lawfully made.
>
> If they don't follow the copy conditions, they are unauthorized.

And what copy conditions are not followed in the copies that I've
made?

Promises regarding distribution are totally baside the point. We
are talking about *unilateral* grant, not a contract:

http://gl.scofacts.org/gl-20031214210634851.html

<quote author=Moglen>

The GPL, however, is a true copyright license: a unilateral
permission, in which no obligations are reciprocally required by
the licensor.

</quote>

Distribution is done under 17 USC 109, not GPL.