Re: Licensing question about the BSD

From: John Hasler
Subject: Re: Licensing question about the BSD
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 13:23:22 -0500

David Kastrup writes:
> Where "own" means "lawfully acquired in an exchange of consideration from
> somebody with the right to offer the software".

I think you are confounding first sale with ยง 117.

> Copyright law does not give you the right to run programs you have stolen
> off a truck...

In that case you do not own them.  You merely possess them.

> ...or obtained by [cr]acking into a server.

In that case you do own the physical copies and may have a right to run
them, but when the copyright owner sues you the court will order
destruction of your copies and payment of damages.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org