Re: Licensing question about the BSD

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Licensing question about the BSD
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 01:37:58 +0200

> Alexander Terekhov wrote:
> [...]
>> GNUtian dak is (mostly) right
>
> Gifts (in the context of this thread: accepted unilateral copyright
> grants) also fall under '"first sale".

Sure, as long as you have proof that you were made a present of a copy
without attached conditions from the respective owner of the rights.

For example, if the copyright owner himself put software up with a
permission for downloading _without_ specifying that the use of
downloaded copies was subject to conditions.

> Price is irrelevant. Territorial hint: see the so called
> Linux-Klausel in the most recent UrhG, my dear (plonked) GNUtian
> dak.

Sure.  But the GPL is not a gift certificate.  It is a licence.