Re: Licensing question about the BSD

From: John Hasler
Subject: Re: Licensing question about the BSD
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 08:08:13 -0500

David Kastrup writes:
> And if you think you can circumvent the reprinting permission by taking
> hold of a few cubic feet of actual copies, then cutting and pasting from
> them by a mechanical process, I very much doubt that the nominal
> possession of the physical copies will save you from having to obtain the
> copyright holders' permission for the resulting publication.

I think you might get away with literally doing that without infringing the
copyright[1] with actual pieces of paper.  However, their is no equivalent
for machine-readable media (except perhaps paper tape or punched
cards). It's also so impractical as to be moot.

[1] There might be a problem with the exclusive right to create
derivatives.  There is also the problem of taking hundreds of copies when
the distributor clearly intended one copy per customer, but that's not
related to copyright.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org