Re: derivative works (was: Licensing question about the BSD)

From: Bruce Lewis
Subject: Re: derivative works (was: Licensing question about the BSD)
Date: 19 Aug 2005 08:35:21 -0400

Isaac <isaac@latveria.castledoom.org> writes:

> On 18 Aug 2005 15:17:12 -0400, Bruce Lewis <brlspam@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > The U.S. Copyright office agrees with me:
> > http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ14.html#examples
> >
> > "Sound recording (long-playing record in which two of the
> > 10 selections were previously published on a 45 rpm single)"
>
> I think they are saying that the 10 song compilation is derivative
> of the original 2 song compilation and not that the individual
> selections copied unto the LP have become derivative works of the
> individual selections on the single.

Did I say something earlier that made it sound like I thought original
works become derivative works in and of themselves?  I certainly didn't
intend to.  I'm only refuting the assertion that if no lines of program
code are modified, it necessarily follows that there is no derivative
work.  In this example, nobody modified a single note of the original
music.