Re: Licensing question about the BSD

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Licensing question about the BSD
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 15:54:34 +0200

Isaac wrote:
[...]
> Where I think he's completely out to lunch is in his interpretation of
> first sale.

Once again: I'm in good company.

http://google.com/groups?selm=slrna7gh48.6s.isaac@latveria.castledoom.org

<quote authors=Jeffrey Siegal, Isaac>

:What about the first sale doctrine? Indeed, if users own their own
:copies, including binary copies, of the software, than those users can
:transfer those copies without complying with the GPL's requirements as
:to source code access.

Interesting. I really hadn't thought about that and my attempts
to digest the implications on the fly are making my head hurt.
I can't resolve the problems introduced by first sale without
either making the user of GPL'd code a non owner or deciding
that users really can transfer their copies, no matter what the
GPL says.

</quote>

http://google.com/groups?selm=4231A26A.DAE0EE71@web.de