Re: why is non-free software immoral?

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: why is non-free software immoral?
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 19:03:47 +0200

   > Part of me 'feels' non-free software is wrong but I would like to
   > come to a philosophical truth on the matter.

   Using non-free software is not wrong as long as you will never need
   the freedom.  For example, the software in some household appliance
   can be non-free, and it would not make a difference to you usually.

A better example would be a chip in a household appliance that has a
etched chip (say a PLA), and you can't change the chip without
soldering and exchanging it with a new one.

If one can change the software on a household appliance, then the
software for the household appliance should be free software.  Wheter
you need that freedom or not, is beside the point.

Cheers.