Re: "The Free software Movement is a Scam" -Alfred Szmidt GNU.org

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: "The Free software Movement is a Scam" -Alfred Szmidt GNU.org
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 19:46:58 +0200

   We differ in fundamental ways as to the definition of "free".  I
   consider the right to create derivatives to be an important
   freedom.

So you consider it important that I should be able to change what you
wrote above into:

We differ in fundamental ways as to the definition of "free".  I
consider the right to create derivatives to be an unimportant
freedom.

And no, this isn't protected under the relevant laws for libel,
slander, and what not.  Assume that you released the above text under
the GPL, where you give the explcict permission to modify the text.
If this was protected under libel/slander/etc laws, then you wouldn't
be allowed to modify e.g. a piece of code to do something that the
original author might consider a `misrepresentation of his opinion',
infact, some authors have tried to add such clauses to their licenses,
and it makes the software non-free since you are not allowed to
modifiy it for `whatever purpose'; which includes being a idiot. ;-)

The most basic freedom (IMHO) for any non-functional work (articles,
manuals) is to be able to distribute it verbatim, for a fee or without
one.