NYC LOCAL: Thursday 17 November 2005 UNIGROUP: Tom Limoncelli on Time Ma

From: secretary
Subject: NYC LOCAL: Thursday 17 November 2005 UNIGROUP: Tom Limoncelli on Time Management for System Administrators
Date: 16 Nov 2005 03:33:55 -0500

  what="official UNIGROUP announcement">

 From: Unigroup_of_NY <unilist@unigroup.org>
 Subject: Reminder: UNIGROUP 17-NOV-2005 (Thu): Time Management for System
Administrators

 Reminder, Unigroup is this Thursday evening...
 (enclosed is an update to the events section)

 UNIGROUP OF NEW YORK - UNIX USERS GROUP - NOVEMBER 2005 ANNOUNCEMENTS

 1. UNIGROUP'S NOVEMBER 2005 GENERAL MEETING ANNOUNCEMENT

       When:  THURSDAY, November 17th, 2005    (3rd Thursday)

      Where:  Alliance for Downtown NY Conference Facility
              Downtown Center
              104 Washington Street
              South West Corner of Wall Street Area
              Downtown, New York City
              ** Please RSVP (not mandatory) **

       Time:  6:15 PM - 6:25 PM  Registration
              6:25 PM - 6:45 PM  Ask the Wizard, Questions,
                                 Answers and Current Events
              6:45 PM - 7:00 PM  Unigroup Business and Announcements
              7:00 PM - 9:30 PM  Main Presentation

      Topic:  Time Management for System Administrators

   Speaker:   Tom Limoncelli,
              Cibernet Corp.

    INTRODUCTION:
    -------------

    Tom Limoncelli was the speaker for Unigroup's May 2002 meeting
    on Internet Collaboration which discussed the various processes
    that Tom experienced/invented while writing his first book (with
    his co-author Christine Hogan) "The Practice of System and
    Network Administration".  This book encapsulated years of
    practical experience into a comprehensive text that many
    administrators would find a useful source of knowledge and
    experience.

    As System Administrators, we have all felt the time management
    problem, especially when supporting people from multiple groups,
    departments, or companies.  At our November 2005 meeting, Tom
    will share some of his insights into the time management problem,
    and we hope to learn useful information that spans both Tom's books.

    SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS:
    Please avoid emailed RSVPs, if at all possible.

    Please continue to check the Unigroup web site and meeting page,
    for any last minute updates concerning this meeting.  If you
    registered for this meeting, please check your email for any last
    minute announcements as the meeting approaches.  Also make sure
    any anti-spam white-lists are updated to _ALLOW_ Unigroup traffic!

    Please try to RSVP as soon as possible.

    Note: RSVP is not mandatory for this location, but it does help
          us to properly plan the meeting (food, drinks, handouts,
          seating, etc.).

    MAIN PRESENTATION OUTLINE:
    --------------------------

    Time Management for SysAdmins
    =============================

    Tom will be presenting tips from his new book,
    "Time Management for System Administrators," published by O'Reilly.

    Who has the time for time management!?  Users interrupt you
    constantly with requests, your managers want you to get
    long-term projects done but flood you with requests for
    quick-fixed, and the machines you manage just never behave,
    causing problems at the most inopportune moments.  Tom will
    discuss techniques he has developed over the last 15 years
    including:

      - How to find time to get projects done,
      - The best way to manage interruptions from users,
      - Open Source tools for tracking requests,
      - How to turn chaos into free time.

    Tom's new book is due out late in November, and it can be pre-ordered
    at Amazon (see below, for a 30% off coupon):
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0596007833/tomontime-20

    Web Resources:
    --------------

    Tom's first book "The Practice of System and Network Administration",
    and his blog:
      http://www.EverythingSysadmin.com

    Speaker Biography:
    ------------------

    Tom Limoncelli is the co-author of The Practice of System and
    Network Administration and author of Time Management for System
    Administrators.  He has more than 15 years experience as a
    sysadmin and has been invited to speak around the world on many
    topics.  Tom is a co-founder of $GROUPNAME, NJ's Unix Users Group.
    You can read his blog on http://www.EverythingSysadmin.com.

    Giveaways:
    ----------

    O'Reilly has been kind enough to provide us with some of their
    books, which we will continue to raffle off as giveaways at our
    meetings.

    Addison-Wesley Professional/Prentice Hall PTR has been kind
    enough to provide us with some of their books, which we will
    continue to raffle off as giveaways at our meetings.

    Unigroup would like to thank both companies for the support
    provided by their User Group programs.

    Note: The chances tend to be about 1 in 5, that any attendee of
    our meeting will walk away with a fairly valuable giveaway
    (ie. most books are valued between $30 and $60)!

    ** We also still have some Sun Solaris 10 DVDs available from
       friends at the NYC Sun Office.

    Tom will bring O'Reilly t-shirts and books to give away, as well
    as a copy of his first book.  Since his Time Management book
    is not in print yet, he will give out coupons for a 30% discount
    on pre-orders of his book.

    Fee Schedule:
        Yearly Membership (includes all meetings):      $ 50.00
        Non-Member Single Meeting:                      $ 20.00
        Student Yearly Membership:                      $ 20.00
        Non-Member Student Single Meeting (with ID):    $  5.00
        Payment Methods: Cash, Check, American Express.

    Complimentary Food and Refreshments will be served.  This includes
    "wraps" such as turkey, roast beef, chicken, tuna and grilled
    vegetables as well as assorted salads (potato, tossed,
    pasta, etc), cookies, bottled water and assorted beverages.

    Directions:

      Alliance for Downtown NY Conference Facility
      Downtown Center
      104 Washington Street
      Wall Street Area
      Downtown, New York City

    This building is located on the West side of the street, the
    second building north of Rector Street.  Cross Streets:
    Between Rector (South) and Carlisle (North) Streets.

    Our meeting location is in the Lower West Corner of Downtown,
    North of the Battery Tunnel, South of the Downtown Hotel,
    East of West Street, and West of Greenwich Street.  Walking West
    on Rector Street from Broadway, you pass Church, Greenwich then
    Washington Streets.

    There are multiple blocks of parking lots right there, between
    Washington and Greenwich Streets, starting at the Battery Tunnel
    and extending North for a number of blocks.

    Nearest mass transit stations, in order, are the '1/9' (Rector
    Street), 'R/W' (Rector Street) and the '4/5' (Wall Street).

    -----

    Please mark this meeting on your calendar and join us!
    Please tell your friends about Unigroup!

    -----------------
 2. UPCOMING MEETINGS
    -----------------

    We have a series of meetings in the works:

    - Field Trip to Novell - SuSE/OpenSuSE Linux
    - NO SPAM!  (know any speakers?)
    - Asterix / VoIP
    - Field Trip to HP - Invited
    - Are there too many Linux Distributions?
    - Unix 35th Birthday Celebration (Sun has offered to host this!)
    - IPsec and IPv6
    - Samba
    - DNS
    - Unix Clusters and Clustered Databases
    - Linux Clustering Part 3: Beowulf version 2
    - Building a Firewall using FreeBSD and Linux
    - High Performance Internet Servers / Web Acceleration
    - Unix Office Tools: Word Processors, Spreadsheets, Accounting Packages.
    - PKI
    - GNU Development Environments
    - iSCSI, Serial ATA, and other new peripheral technologies

    Please let us know about any other meeting topics that you may be
    interested in.  Potential speakers on Unix related technology topics
    should contact the Unigroup Board.

    ----------------------------
 3. LOCAL EVENTS and TRADE SHOWS
    ----------------------------

    A) Sun Microsystems Events: NYC + NJ
       ---------------------------------

       : ===============  Sun Customer Invite =========================
       :
       : Solaris 10 Part V has arrived! Are you ready?
       :
       : This Solaris deep dive session focuses on two topics. First, we cover
       : various virtualization technologies in the systems space. Technologies
       : such as Xen and the ability to run Linux applications on Solaris will
       : be covered.  You will also get a Containers update, specifically on
       : patching and packaging.
       :
       : The second topic is Development Tools for Solaris. The latest set of
       : compilers from Sun significantly improve your application performance.
       : We will discuss the specifics, and show comparisons against gcc and
       : other compilers.
       :
       : Please read below for agenda topics, speakers, dates and locations!
       : This event is sure to fill up fast, so please register!
       :
       : DATE:
       : ====
       : Wednesday, November 16, 2005: (New York, NY)
       : Thursday,  November 17, 2005: (Somerset, NJ)
       :
       : RSVP:
       : ====
       : http://sunsmart.sun.com/wma/
       : Event ID: techne
       : Password: sun
       :
       : AUDIENCE:
       : ========
       : IT/Technology Professionals, CXOs/CTOs, Developers, Line-of-Business
       : Professionals
       :
       : AGENDA:
       : ======
       : 8:45am - 9:00am     Registration and Continental Breakfast
       :
       : 9:00am - 9:05am     Welcome and Specifics
       :                     Ambreesh Khanna,
       :                     Chief Technologist, Solaris Adoption
       :
       : 9:05am - 10:15am    Sun's Server Virtualization Strategy
       :                     Matthew Baier, Senior Product Manager,
       :                     Solaris Interoperability
       :
       : 10:15am - 11:00am   Xen and Solaris
       :                     John Danielson,
       :                     Senior Staff Engineer, Solaris on Xen
       :
       : 11:00am - 11:45am   Solaris Application Environment for Linux
       :                     Nils Nieuwejaar, Project Lead,
       :                     Solaris Application Environment for Linux
       :
       : 11:45am - 12:15pm   Lunch
       :
       : 12:15pm -  1:00pm   Containers Update
       :                     David Comay,
       :                     Senior Staff Engineer, Solaris Engineering
       :
       : 1:00pm -2:30pm      C/C++ Development Tools on Solaris
       :                     Don Kretsch, Director, Developement Tools
       :
       : LOCATIONS:
       : =========
       : Wednesday, November 16, 2005
       : Sun New York Office
       : Grammercy Park Conference Room
       : 101 Park Avenue
       : 4th Floor
       : New York, NY 10178
       :
       : Thursday, November 17, 2005
       : Sun Somerset Office
       : Sun Conference Room
       : 400 Atrium Drive
       : Somerset, NJ 08873
       : (732) 469-1000

    B) InfoSecurity Show 2005 at The Javits Center

       Infosecurity New York
       December 6-8, 2005
       Jacob K. Javits Convention Center
       New York, NY

       Exhibit hours:
         Tue, December 6, 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
         Wed, December 7, 10:00 am - 4:00 pm

       For information and complimentary online registration visit:
         http://www.infosecurityevent.com

    C) Fixed-Income Expo on Technology and Electronic Trading

       Fixed-Income Expo on Technology and Electronic Trading
       Marriott Marquis Hotel
       1535 Broadway at West 46th St.
       New York, NY

       Exhibit hours:
         Wed, December 7,  8:00 am - 3:30 pm

       For information and complimentary online registration visit:
         http://flaggmgmt.com/tbma

    --------------------
 4. UNIGROUP INFORMATION
    --------------------

    Unigroup is one of the oldest and largest Unix User's Groups serving
    the Greater New York City Regional Area since the early 1980s.  Unigroup
    is a not-for-profit, vendor-neutral and member funded volunteer
    organization.  Unigroup holds regular and special event meetings
    throughout the year on technical topics relating to Unix and the Unix
    User Community.  Unigroup is/was also the Greater NYC Regional Area
    Affiliate of UniForum - an International Unix Users Group.

    Unigroup holds regular meetings planned for (at a minimum) the Third
    THURSDAY of Odd Months.  We generally try to hold Field Trip or
    Vendor Specific Meetings on the Even Months, although we do have the
    ability to hold monthly meetings at our new downtown meeting location.
    Recently, we have been holding meetings on a more monthly basis.

    Planned regular meeting dates are: 11/17/2005, 1/19/2006, 3/16/2006, ...
    Watch for our Special Event meetings at the various trade shows in NYC
    as well as "Field Trips" to the facilities of local hardware and
    software vendors.

    = For Unigroup Information, Events and Meeting Announcements be sure to =
    = visit our World Wide Web Home Page:                                   =
    =       http://www.unigroup.org                                         =

    For further information or to get on the Unigroup Electronic Mail Mailing
    List send an EMail message to:
         unilist (at) unigroup.org

    To contact the Board of Directors of Unigroup, send an EMail message to:
         uniboard (at) unigroup.org

    If you have recently attended a meeting and you are not receiving
    Email announcements, please send us an Email and we will make
    corrections to our lists.

    Please Email the Board with any suggestions, especially potential
    meeting topics and speakers.  Unigroup welcomes contributions and
    content suggestions for our newsletter.  Unigroup is a volunteer
    organization and we need your assistance!  Please let us know if you
    can help!

 I hope to see you all at our next meeting!

 -Rob Weiner
  Unigroup Executive Director
  unilist (at) unigroup.org
  http://www.unigroup.org