Re: LGPL question

From: Lasse Reichstein Nielsen
Subject: Re: LGPL question
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 09:27:12 +0100

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 05:26:38 +0100, Gordon Burditt <gordonb.obbns@burditt.org> wrote:

If my company, let's call it "Bony Corporation", decides to release
a music CD "Get Right with the DRM" with a rootkit that contains
copyrighted music and LGPL-licensed software, is it required to
distribute the *music* source code under the LGPL or GPL?  What
*is* the source code to music?  A non-DRM'd, non-encrypted copy of
the music?

From the LGPL:
"0. This License Agreement applies to any software library or other program ..." Music is not software. I don't know if US copyright law makes a distinction, but in my jurisdiction, software is considered a literary work, and music is
not.

As for source code:
  "Source code" for a work means the preferred form of the work for making
modifications to it. For a library, complete source code means all the source code for all modules it contains, plus any associated interface definition files, plus the scripts used to control compilation and installation of the
  library.
That doesn't really match music at all.

So, nice try, but it won't fly.
/L
--
Lasse R. Nielsen - atwork@infimum.dk
 'Faith without judgement merely degrades the spirit divine'