Diff too difficult

From: Barry
Subject: Diff too difficult
Date: 27 Dec 2005 05:15:04 -0800

Over the last couple of days, I read the instructions for diff and
sdiff from different websites. Each was different and each made me go
out of my way because of misleading or missing information. Finally I
found http://www.gnu.org/software/diffutils/manual/html_mono/diff.html,
which might be the official documentation for the diff program I'm
using at the Apache command prompt. Unfortunately, there's an awful lot
of information, and so far I haven't found a way to make the diff
output adequately human or machine readable. I have more investigating
to do, but some of the problems, depending on what kind of diff utility
is used, seem to be bad delimiting, limitations on line length, lack of
text wrapping (with CRs or anything else), and inconsistant use of
symbols (there's no symbol between lines that match with sdiff). I
don't need a pretty graphical display, but I would like the output to
be improved.

Make it so.

Thanks.